Garmin Launches New Version of Pilot App
By Nick Zazulia | May 9, 2018
Garmin has updated its Garmin Pilot app for Apple devices. Update 9.3 includes a number of enhancements, focusing on weather and airspace alerting. Following is a list of updates:
- When viewing the flight profile view alongside a flight plan within Garmin Pilot, customers can view the probability or severity of icing at particular altitudes through color-coded shading.
- The radar overlay on the moving map now includes the projected path of a storm cell. If hail or tornadic activity is present, a corresponding icon will also be displayed alongside the particular storm cell line.
- Garmin Pilot 9.3 adds airspace alerting to notify pilots prior to entering select airspace segments. Which airspace types pilots receive alerts for can be customized in the app.
- Pilots that utilize a GDL 69, GDL 51 or GDL 52 who also have a valid SiriusXM Aviation Weather subscription can now view the surface analysis layer on the moving map.
- Pilots can now utilize pinch-to-zoom gestures on the traffic page to view traffic targets when Garmin Pilot is paired with an ADS-B In receiver. They can also select whether traffic information is displayed in relative or absolute altitude.
- Extended runway centerlines have been improved to display mile marker segments, so it’s easier to determine the distance from the runway while on final approach.
- The Garmin Pilot aircraft library has grown to include aircraft performance profiles for Cessna, Mooney, and Piper.
Gulf Coast Avionics Upgrades King Air C90 to Garmin G600TXi
Gulf Coast Avionics has done an upgrade to add Garmin’s G600 TXi touchscreen display to a King Air C90A. The mod replaced all avionics on the pilot’s side and in the center stack, except for engine gauges.
Garmin avionics in the installation include one 10.6-inch TXi touchscreen display in front of the pilot, dual touchscreen GTN 750 GPS NavCom units, GMA 35c remote audio panel, a GTX 345 ADS-B Out/In transponder and GTX 335 ADS-B Out transponder, Flight Stream 510 Connext wireless gateway, and GSR 56 Iridium satellite datalink. A Mid-Continent MD302 Standby Attitude Module provides backup instrumentation, although analog instruments on the copilot’s side are retained.
“The G600 TXi is an amazing piece of technology,” said Gulf Coast president and CEO Rick Garcia. “Pilots can easily configure the display to meet their exact preference, which greatly increases situational awareness while reducing pilot workload and stress, especially in single-pilot IFR conditions. We have completed a lot of King Air upgrades, but in my opinion, this is the best of the bunch.”
FAA Certified Equipment List (as of 16-Feb-2018)
Click here for the current list of FAA-Approved V2 ADS-B Avionics to the best of the FAA’s knowledge. For detailed information on specific pairings, please consult the equipment manufacturers. You can also search for equipment specifically for your aircraft make and model in the FAA’s database.